Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Referral-versary



OOPS! I missed our referral anniversary for little Keller. Sorry, Buddy. I did think about it a day or 2 after, but we have been working like dogs trying to finish up our kitchen redo. We finally finished and will post on that later.



Last September 3rd we were completely caught off guard when our adoption agency called with our referral. I had been at the hairdresser, relaxing a bit. My phone had rung while there, but I just ignored it. I didn't recognize the number & figured it could wait. As I was leaving my appt, Joel called my cell. He said, "Where have you been? Our referral is here!" My response, "WHAT! It has only been 2 months since our dossier went to Korea! Are you kidding me?" They said 6-8 months, with a slight chance it could be a little sooner.
Well, of course we dropped everything and made arrangements to meet at the agency. I couldn't believe it. I felt so unprepared. We had waited and waited for Kylee's referral (18 months). I know that doesn't sound too long for those waiting now for years! But at the time it felt like an eternity.
When we arrived at the agency our case worker sat down with us and handed us a folder. She said, "I know this is a shock & this is a special case. When you open the folder the pictures will be on top." And then she left. We had no clue, boy, girl, age etc. As a couple we sat there and went over every picture & document in detail. Here was our son. What a cutie! Wow! Now what? This is where the process was different from the China program. It was new for us. We had a million questions. Foremost, when can we go?!
It was a crazy day, full of excitement and surprise. I will never forget the day, just like the day we got Kylee's referral. They are completely different days! Both very special! The 1st day we saw his/her sweet face!

Do you know how hard it is to get a 2 yr old boy to do what you want for a picture...



We have transitioned, not so smoothly to a toddler bed. Keller likes the idea of it, but half the time ends up sleeping by the door. He now will excitedly tell us when he has slept in his "big boy bed!" It's progress. As my friend Sharon told me, "He will eventually figure out that it is more comfortable in his bed than on the floor." He is growing alot. He is talking alot! He likes to repeat almost everthing he hears. If there is a conversation going on, he wants to be in on it. He can count to 10. He love, love, loves music! I thought Kylee loved it, and she does. But this boy is so over the top happy about music. It is hilarious. We may have 2 little musicians on our hands.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

keller is so cute with his spikey hair!!! happy referral-versary!!!!!

Rhea said...

Oh, Happy Day for YOU, Keller Man! Love you! ( Happy Day for ALL of us!!)

Aunt Rhea, Uncle Keenan, Landry and Lawson

Jodi Rathjen said...

congratulations! Happy day and happy memories! God is so good! We love and miss this little man, and all of you! hug hug hug for little Keller!

Anonymous said...

I love the celebration pictures of Keller with his new hairdo and the
fact that he is sleeping in his big-boy bed! I was amazed when I talked with him the other day that he has learned so many new words!
We are so blessed and I think there will be many wonderful days ahead with this little boy! It is wonderful that he and Kylee love music! I hope they become wonderful musicians!
Love to All,
Mom/Grandmom

chinababymom said...

I know I'm REALLY late, but happy Referral-versary Keller! You are growing SO fast...and mighty handsome! Hug, hug, hug...love you!!