Friday, February 3, 2012

Chinese/Lunar New Year Celebration



When we moved into our home in May we talked about doing an open house at some point. Well it never really worked out. So when we were discussing how we should celebrate Chinese & Lunar New Year for 2012, we thought maybe this would work out well as an open house. So last Saturday we did just that. About 35 (including kids) of our friends and family joined us to celebrate this fun holiday. I won't claim it was all authentic, but it was our version of a Chinese New Year party. And we had a fantastic time!

I knew I wouldn't be able to make all the fun things I had planned in one day or weekend. So the Saturday before I spent the day making Asian meatballs, egg rolls, & dumplings. It is a lot of work. But so fun. And so worth it to have the homemade stuff. So I froze those things until the party. We also had clementines, veggie cups & Chinese Marbled Tea Eggs. We served various cold drinks and hot teas. And for dessert I made tangerine mousse and thanks to the Korean bakery we enjoyed some yummy cookies, cakes & bread.

There was a craft for the kids....Make Your Own Dragon Puppet. It is year of the dragon. And we attempted to launch sky lanterns. But it was way too windy, so each family took one home to launch on their own later. The kids were also sent home with red envelopes holding gold & red chocolate coins.

We enjoyed it so much we think we will make it and annual party! Now if only I can figure out how to be hostess and remember to take pictures of ALL our lovely guests. Ugh. Oh well, here are a few pics anyway.













1 comment:

Glenda McMath said...

Shauna! You are so awesome and creative! Wow wow wow! Loved getting caught up on your blog and life tonight! Sure miss you friend! 12 days in Spain now and still CRAZY! It will be great when we can get our own house and get settled! Love you!